Last year sometime I created Terry (aka Terrence Waterstone III). I’d tried twice to get him to come out right but it wasn’t until the 3rd go round that I was at least partially happy with him.
He’s visible here in the (old) class photo. He’s #4 (and as usual click the photo for a larger image).
Anyway, as I said I wasn’t completely satisfied with him. His face was ok but his hair…well. No. Who ever had had that head before I got it must have done some kind of magic to it because no matter how I boiled it and tried to re-set it, it refused to be tamed and just continued to stick out at his head at angles (and it only got worse at the months went by).
I debated wiping his face and re-rooting him, but I decided instead just to give re-rooting him a go. I don’t like re-rooting that much but why not? Especially if it meant not having to re-paint him too.
I took the mohair I had left and decided to use it. It’s not great and the stuff actually began felting itself while I was rooting it. Talk about a major annoyance and irritation. This is the worst I’ve experienced in the whole time I’ve worked with mohair and I’m probably not going to use it again.
I decided at that point that if I got it in I didn’t care if he looked like freakin side-show Bob from the simpsons—it would do. And maybe be better since it would add to the sense of “whatever”ness I wanted Terry to have.
This is how it looks after rooting, and after 3 go rounds with a scalpel knife and hair goop. Still not fantastic, and I might eventually thin down the hair some more. I’m fighting to keep from making it into dreads lol…